Thursday 24 April 2008

Something a bit weird and discounts

Right. I have worked at Pizza Hut for erm...well...ages. So you do recognise customers, and I would say, especially on evening/night shifts about 25% of customers are, 'regulars'. Occasionally if I go into Asda or Sainsburys on the way home, you will see a customer or two you served earlier. But it less frequent to see them, at other random times.

There is a customer, who comes in with his wife and 2 little kids. They've been coming in for over a year. The reason I remember them, is because his kids are the spitting image of him.

So, it must have been a Wednesday I served them. Then on the Thursday, I was in Matalan (sent on an errand looking for mugs) - and there they were, the family, in Matalan. Ok, so that's just coincidence. Then, on Friday - who do I see again, the dad - in McDonalds eating breakfast!

We were sitting on opposite tables, and we got locked into eye contact. I knew who he was, and he recognised me (from the 2 previous days!)...I didn't know whether to say anything, or smile, or look away or what. So I did a small smile and that was that.

Then, on Saturday - on the way home - sitting at traffic lights. Jesus christ who is sitting next to me - him and family!! The lights changed before we both clocked on to who we were glancing at, so there was no awkwardness that time.

I just find that very weird, but total coincidence - I saw the same man and family, four times in a row. How does that happen?


And discounts...

"Do I get a discount cos I work at...?"
"We used to but not anymore, sorry"

Then the mother, I think, piped up:

"Haha - you mean you don't know how to do it on the till"
"No, we don't do it anymore because not many places gave us discount"
"Prove it!" (She was being light hearted)
"I'll read you the discount options to tease you then!!"

I read about 6 before she got the point, but there were 12 more I could have gone through if needed.

Her daughter seemed totally embarrassed:
"Oh my god mum I have to work here, you're so embarrasing, you've embarrassed him too!!"
Mother: "Are you embarrassed?!"
"Ha, I find it quite funny really, so not too fussed!"
"See - he ISN'T embarrassed"

HA!

22 comments:

James (UK) said...

It's a small World... ;-)

Anonymous said...

So who DOES get discount?!

Anonymous said...

What happened to the Tesco scapegoat blog? Anyone know?

Al said...

They probably either got fed up with writing it - they were writing loads pretty much every day, a hard pace to maintain - or Tesco management found out about it and made them stop.

SkippyMom said...

I love that conversation about discounts. I can feel that poor girl's pain [I am assuming she was a teenager/early 20's?] and her Mom embarrassing her like that....it sounded as tho' you handled it with aplomb and humor!

YAY!

[love the blog - so happy NEW posts! w00t!]

Anonymous said...

In our store, other than the normal Pizza Hut staff members discount the police get a discount, other than that I don't think anyone else does (oh, apart from a deal I belive we have going with our local paintballing base)

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

Hi Surrey Delivery Driver!

We give discount to a few people. Staff, students, centre staff (security & cleaners), police - if they ask, but they rarely do. There is also a card available to kids that they get some free stuff on their birthday but I've only seen one once.

Ps: Any idea if you are going to PHQ anytime soon - apparently it is turning PH Delivery around...

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't know what PHQ meant (being only part time) but we prob won't as Pizza Hut are selling the premises in which we reside and leaving town

Anonymous said...

So what discount do Police get please?

Anonymous said...

As far as i know PHQ isn't really taking off its just a trial for the more studenty areas to give them better value for money when it really doesnt! Less choice and same prices, wat a roaring success thats gonna be... But, the whole of Pizza Hut (UK) Ltd is getting rebranded later this year. All the Full service restaurants are getting a makeover and new menu and HSR is getting re-branded with new logos, new uniforms and every delivery store being re-imaged... aswell as new delivery guarantees and hot and on time delivery systems... something to look forward to eh?

Anonymous said...

I like pizza very much, switch link please, thanks

Anonymous said...

Here in The North East police discount was stopped 1 month ago!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a lady ask me for discount because her pizza was cold, i asked if she had eaten it and she replied yes...i told her sorry love no evidence....no discount...she was really pissed off.....cheap bitch!!!

Anonymous said...

Why are most Deputy managers from P.H. leaving at the moment????
Cant think why!!!
And why don't support managers want deputy jobs?????
really cant think why...LOL

Anonymous said...

Well the police get paid enough to be a@@@ holes...why should they get any discount @ P.H.ztazupwh????
Ordinary folk pay full price...
Special people don't!!!

Anonymous said...

Shame really....P.H. work areas and stations within restaurants have no room to work in kitchens and too much crockery, equipment and products...when will they realize that they cant keep it up forever.....back to basics would be a good move....its just CHEESE ON TOAST

Anonymous said...

Vouchers r a pain in the ass

Anonymous said...

Police don't get discount anymore...they don't deserve it.....get paid too much to b ass holes

Anonymous said...

I had a policeman in once and he complained that he didn't get discount on his bill cause he had a meal deal. Got the classic response of "oh, but I got discount before." Told him he just got lucky last time and he couldn't have it.

Then he left WITHOUT paying!!! Total bas.

Anonymous said...

We will be cutting our own veg soon.............cant wait!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love P.H, the staff are always friendly and they put up with loads of crap.
I once chased a couple yobs who ran out without paying and arrested them, the restarant wouldn't let me pay for my food but I did, I was happy with a Pizza the action! Sorry!

Justin said...

I am a shift manager at the hut in Mitchell, South Dakota and I think all of the changes is fucked up