Sunday 23 November 2008

Toilets

The restaurant has toilets, it's got ladies, gents and disabled/baby change. These are for customer use only, not anyone who walks off the street and needs the loo.

Occasionally we let people use them, if they're nice, but when they walk in and just assume they have the right to - we don't, well, I don't. Luckily they are tucked away at the back and it means a long walk to them, so they can't be sneaky and slither in.

Based on what I saw my manager say to these kids who wanted to use the toilet, I took that as being the "standard" way to say no. To be honest I think she has had some kind of army training because she is so firm and pretty scary to the average person, she takes no prisoners.

So, do you think I was right, wrong, or just very mean in this situation:

-There are public toilets available about 200 yards away
-The restaurant was full at lunchtime

"Where are the toilets?"
"Do you want a table?"
"No she [younger sister I think] needs to go toilet"
"Oh, they're for customers only, sorry - the public ones are over there near.." (pointing)
"Shes going to wee herself"
"Right"
"Well can she not use yours"
"Sorry I'm not allowed to let you. There are some literally a minute away over there"
"WELL SHES GOING TO WEE HERSELF - DISGRACEFUL"

And she walked out. Now afterwards, two waitresses said I was mean. I think I was reasonable, helpful and considerate of our proper customers. Ok, I do feel quite guilty now, to the extent where it's mentioned in my Facebook status!!

So thats the subject of toilets covered, I don't think the discussions regarding them will ever really change. I've already seen a couple of people trying to "go it alone" with finding the toilets, and they end up in the potwash area, which is quite funny.

11 comments:

Central User said...

Yes you were mean, but more fortunate than most in that at least you have public conveniences close by. Over the last 20 years too many have been closed.

The London Borough of Richmond has a brilliant policy - it pays local businesses a small stipend to ensure that facilities are available to all. Removes any stigma / embarrassment in one go.
http://www.richmond.gov.uk/community_toilet_scheme

Al said...

Personally, I think it depends on the age of the person who wanted to use the toilet as to how mean you were. If it was just a little kid then I'd probably have let them but if they were older then I wouldn't have done. After all, there are public toilets close by so there's no reason they couldn't have gone there.

At least you told them, or at least tried to, where the nearest ones were and didn't just say no and leave it at that.

James (UK) said...

No, I think you were fine myself. People are just lazy most of the time to walk over to the public ones. Why should they expect the "right" to use yours?

Anonymous said...

i do the same in my pizza hut... why should they expect to be able to use our toilets? ESPECIALLY when there are literally some bang nxt door.
end of the day we have to pay for the maintenance and upkeep of the toilets (paid for from the customers bills) people just expect everything these days and love to complain and chance their luck... screw them is what i say

Anonymous said...

Pizza hut blows.

Spiralbatross said...

dude, we get this ALL the time at our store. and we're a DELCO! "but-but it's ONLY gonna take a second.....!"
tch
yeah right
block up our toilets just like the last guy we let in
lol

Anonymous said...

That's normal.
McD always the best toilet place when i was traveling.

Laura said...

I work at a Pizza Hut in Orlando Fl, dine in, as well. We get a lot of walk in customers just to use the bathroom, we hate it too, 'cept our area manager won't allow us to put a sign up or tell people customers only, they say 'That they may be customers tommorow' or some crap like that. So consider your self lucky you can say anything!

Mkellynotes said...

I think it is a bad policy not letting walk in's use the bathrooms.

Most businesses I work with (I work in media sales) want people to come into their stores for any reason at all.They just want foot traffic. Everyone is a potential customers.

What about those folks that are regular customers of the restaurant normally and just need to use the bathroom? If someone told me NO, It would make me not want to come back ever!

Don't tell me the restaurant is too busy. The restaurant is obviously not busy if an employee has time to watch and scrutinze customers and ask them wheather or not they intend to order something!

Restaurants that ARE busy are slammmed and its all hands on deck for all employees!

It's a private business for now (until Obama nationalizes it!)For now any private business can set the rules. It's just incredibly poor business!

Mkellynotes said...

I think it is a bad policy not letting walk in's use the bathrooms.

Most businesses I work with (I work in media sales) want people to come into their stores for any reason at all.They just want foot traffic. Everyone is a potential customers.

What about those folks that are regular customers of the restaurant normally and just need to use the bathroom? If someone told me NO, It would make me not want to come back ever!

Don't tell me the restaurant is too busy. The restaurant is obviously not busy if an employee has time to watch and scrutinze customers and ask them wheather or not they intend to order something!

Restaurants that ARE busy are slammmed and its all hands on deck for all employees!

It's a private business for now (until Obama nationalizes it!)For now any private business can set the rules. It's just incredibly poor business!

david said...

it is a stupid policy I went there yesterday to use the toilets and same thing only guests aloud I think its just a stuck up company if everywhere else can let you use their toilets why cant pizza hut it has got nothing to do with being lazy or expecting to use toilets I shouldn't have to order something to go to the toilets its disgusting and the public toilets in our city centre you have to pay 20p and most of them don't work so why should I have to pay 20p just to go toilet then go to pizza hut and see that its for guests only