Thursday 12 July 2007

Communication issues

The better one of the three new people, I could see was having an 'issue' with a customer. I was standing in the back and no one else seemed to be watching him so dealing with the issue fell to me. I walked out in my pizza sauce and dough covered apron...I think it makes me look like I know what I'm doing so try to make my aprons last a few days.


"__ are you ok?"

"This guy says I didn't give him enough discount.."

"Right can I have a look at the receipt"



There are two receipts. One for a buy one get one free pizza and another for a deal with a student discount. The man was complaining that he hadn't got student discount on the BOGOF deal, and when he did get student discount on the other receipt he had got only 6p off.


I read out to the man "Offer is subject to availability and not valid in conjuction with any other offer" from the back of the voucher.


"Rubbish!"

"No really it isn't, that's our rule"

"What about the student discount on the other then"

"Well the student discount button was pressed and that was what it gave. We can't change that."

"Oh never mind. I can't be arsed!"



We can change the discount it gives but there is no way I'm going to undermine what another team member has said/done for the sake of 24p, especially with the customers poor attitude - and any discount is at the stores discretion. I showed him how to give the discount after though.



Then I was out the back again when the above complainer whistled at me and asked for some ketchup. Bugger off, "I can't leave this position I'm afraid, you'll have to join the queue.". It is bad enough people pushing in and pestering the front but to whistle people in the kitchen is one step too far.



No beef

I have posted about a similar thing to this before, the fact that pepperoni has beef in it.

Someone wanted a pizza with no 'spicy beef'. I was on the make table at the time so it was my job to make the pizza. I like to ensure customers know that pepperoni has beef in it so whenever a request for no beef comes I go and ask them "Do you know pepperoni has beef in it too?". In this case the answer was "Oh yes I know thats fine". Excellent I've confirmed it so off I go and make it. 7 minutes later it pops out of the oven, is boxed up and given to the customer. 30 seconds later another woman comes back. Recounted from the front staff she said something like this: "ZOMG I'm allergic to beef and this pizza has beef on it!" It did, but not the spicy beef she requested to be taken off. The team member swapped it because they are soft but I would not have - but I have become a bit mean like that.

Then today, I asked an elderly lady "Do you want fries for an extra 21p?"

To which she replied..."What is the price?"
"It's £3.78 without fries or £3.99 with"
"Yes but whats the price?"
"Now, £3.78..?"
"I said what is the price!"
"It's £3.78"
"YEAH BUT WHAT IS THE PRIZE?!"
"Prize?!??"
"Yes you said for an extra 21p I could get a prize!"
"Haaha I said fries for an 21p"
"Oh!!!!"
"Sorry about that..hehe - so do you want fries for 21p?"
"GOD NO I CAN'T EAT FRIES AS WELL!"
"Ok thats £3.78 then please!"
"Hahahahaha I thought you said prize, but you said fries and then you thought I was saying price haaaahaha!"
"Yeah it's pretty loud in here isn't it...I couldn't hear you and you couldn't hear me...anyway sorry about that - enjoy your meal!"
"It's ok you're only doing your job, I didn't want the prize anyway even if it was 21p."

The customer walked off and I looked to my right and one of my colleagues was crouching down on the floor with laughter.

Then later someone left the ICF lever pulled down again. So then most of the frozen mix was gone and people came to use it and it gives off the most high pitched scream of agony when it is low and it rips through the entire centre. I rather like that though.

To finish off my shift, a girl approx. 12 years old came to the drinks machine and she almost walked into me but instead of saying sorry or anything, instead she did a cocky little dance and went "Oooo".

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

Customer Service, eh...? Who'd want to do it? ;-)

That's the problem in the job; It's fine, except for the customers!

Just to recount a similar story in the Doctor's surgery yesterday, I was second in when they opened, behind an elderly gentleman.

After he'd given his name, appointment he was attending etc., the receptionist told him that they were asking everyone to complete a survey on their visit to the Doctors today, to improve their service, and would he mind completing it?

All this time he was looking straight at her, so I was surprised when he said "Sorry?", especially as it was so quiet in there.

So, she repeats it again, and again he just looks at her and says "Er... pardon?"

After she'd done her speil for the third time, he pointed to his ear and said "I can't..." and then laughed.

What I don't get is how someone like that "gets on"? If he can't hear at all, how can he speak / hear the Doctor?

Oh, and at least you come to help out if someone has a complaint. I hate it when the "manager" / supervisor won't come and see you, or won't come and see your customer when you ask them as they are too scared. Hate that!

Like that "dirty apron" strategy too... "George" from "Seinfeld" says something like "If you want to appear busy at work, always look and act angry when people ask you to do something"

It does work in offices, but I don't think it would work too well in the service industry.

Al said...

If a customer is having a go at someone else I try to hover nearby looking pissed off and evil.

It doesn't often have any effect, but you know, I try.

Anonymous said...

The prize should have been a new battery for her hearing aid ...