Monday 9 July 2007

What keys?

In one day, three people left their car keys on the counter. I really don't know why these people choose a specific day but it does get quite a comedy value when you go "I've found some more keys" and the reply is "NOT ANOTHER SET SURELY!" by the manager.

The first one came back pretty quickly so I hadn't given them to security for their...safe keeping.

The second set I gave personally to a security officer, who took them to their control room. A frantic man came back around 3 minutes after that and he was quite rude so I told him that "Oh the keys...security have removed them. You will have to deal with them now." I gave him directions on how to get to security and then he ranted that I should have kept them and now he has a long walk to fetch them. Easy solution - don't leave your keys on the counter.

Then bloody hell a third set, this time with a newish looking Mercedes key attached. We were about to shut so I gave them to an 'operative' of the food hall. I hadn't seen him talk to security so I strolled over about 10 minutes later and this happened:

"Umm did those keys go upstairs?"
"What keys?"
"The set of keys I found on our counter and gave to you to give to security"
"What?"
"It was about 10 minutes ago, over there"
"I can't remember that"
"You put them in your pocket"
"Oh lets have a look then..ahh yes the CAR keys!"
"Yeah"
"What about them?"
"Are you giving them to security because we're going soon so they'll need somewhere to collect them?"
"No I don't have time!"
"What are you doing with them then?"
"I'll keep them until the morning unless you want them back"
"Yeah I'll just have them back it will probably be easier"

I gave them to security myself. I mean - what an idiot. First, he had no recollection of what had happened just 10 minutes ago. Second, he was going to keep them until the morning. What use would that be to the person who had lost their keys and couldn't drive home?!!

8 comments:

James (UK) said...

Some people are so bloody gormless..."I'll keep them until the morning" !!!!!

Remember this from "The Young Ones"? Was the first thing that came to mind when I read that exchange;

[Mike comes in, carrying a fish]

MIKE: What's this?
VYVYAN: It's a fish, Mike.

MIKE: Oh, thanks. [leaves]

----------

MIKE: [knocks, comes back in with the fish] All right, I didn't finish my sentence. I meant to say, what's this fish doing in my bed?

VYVYAN: It's not in your bed, Mike.

MIKE: Oh, yeah. Right. Thanks, Vyv. [leaves]

---------
MIKE: [knocks on the door, comes in, empty-handed] OK, so go ahead now. What's this fish doing in my bed?
RICK, VYVYAN, NEIL: [together] What fish?

MIKE: Oh, yeah. Sorry. [leaves]

-----

etc etc etc

Also, having lost my keys lots of times, I invested in one of those "what if I lose my wallet" services that give you keytags that can get your keys back to you just by the finder dropping them in the post. See Sentinel Services for that.

James (UK) said...

Meant to add that Barista Brat seems to have a similar problem with particular staff, if this post from yesterday is anything to go by! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the gormless one was brighter than you gave him credit for.

What keys? [babelfish]Oh, a nice shiny Merc to joyride in tonight. Thats, Pizza Hut Team Member[/babelfish]

I take it you did have a witness to your key handing over ceremony?

Anonymous said...

D'oh! For "Thats" pls to be readin thanks.

Arriva Driver said...

Heh reminds me of a security guard who works in the local shopping centre.

He doesnt care about the safety and security, hes more interested in chatting to the girls who work in the shops and handing out photographs with his number on...

Yes, really. His own little world.

AggressiveAdmin said...

Really annoys me when people are really rude to you when you've actually done them a favour. I'll kill some cocky, rude fool one of these days.

Al said...

I've had a few people leave keys behind, and if I notice quickly enough I will go after them to give them back. If I don't then they'll go to customer service and eventually to the cash office if they're not claimed - although that never happens.

More popular seems to be people who think they've left their keys behind. I've been asked a few times in the past few weeks if someone had left their keys.

James (UK) said...

Just as another aside, if you collect Nectar points, I've just found out that you can get a free Nectar keyfob, which doubles as one of those "if found, please drop in any postbox" thing that might mean you get lost keys back etc. (See http://www.nectar.com)