Saturday 28 July 2007

What happened while I was off

Unfortunately when I arrived at work I was send home straight away as there was a special task force dealing with the ice cream mix that was at knee height. They estimate it will be another week to get it fully cleaned up. No ok that didn't happen. But the ICF offenders are still there, I discovered about a foot of ice cream piled up on the machine. TURN IT OFF, duh.

The uniform was no issue, except the way I wore the shirt, I looked like a "clown" according to a support manager. I explained to that most men will tuck the shirt in and then bag it out a bit so you don't look like a fool, unlike you who looks like a woman in a blouse (he has grown his hair recently...hmm). He disagreed but the next time I looked he had it tucked in and put his apron on to cover it.

However the new credit card machines were a problem. They are of a cordless variety with like a docking station it stays on while not in use. There are metal prongs which fit into the handset which charge it while in the station. There is green LED light on the docking station which indicates power. Now when you put the handsets in to their docks, you would expect them to charge, right? Wrong and for the last week and a bit they've been baffled as to why they won't hold charge and are moaning about low battery. Being probably the most...technically minded there I pressed a few buttons and discovered the option "Charge battery? - Yes press ENT, No press CAN". So they had been leaving them turned on overnight, thinking they were charging in the docks but infact they were losing more power. A totally stupid idea having to go through a menu and ask it to charge. Hopefully they'll be nice and charged up tomorrow.

Al has a post discussing regulars and quite nicely today a regular customer (a man previously with very little hair, wearing a blindingly obvious wig - have I mentioned that before?) said "Oh I haven't seen you for a while!" I explained the reason for my absence, chronic diarrhea, and he was on his way - loyalty card in hand.

Oh and that's another thing, new loyalty cards. I'm going to have to do an entire post on them sometime.

I answered the phone three times today hoping for something interesting - maybe a prank call. All I got was 3 idiots wanting numbers for another store. One of them I had never even heard of, one I was able to give and the other I didn't know and was ranted at because "I'm from out of town and was recommended Pizza Hut!!!". Heading upto 700 stores I seriously doubt they don't have a Pizza Hut where they live.

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

Hi,

That's such a bad piece of software programming for those cordless Chip and Pin things. I can't think of an occasion when you "dock" anything... from telephones to laptops to emergency torches... that you don't want it to charge!

I wonder if there's a "default" setting that you can change so it always charges when docked? Worth a look.

I got the first wrong number at home for ages yesterday... I answered it with my standard "hello", and a old-ish sounding woman said "Francesca?", to which I said "I think you've got the wrong number...", only for her to get all indignant and say "Oh.. have I? Have I?" in a very condescending manner, before I put the phone down!

I mean... I don't sound like a "Francesca"!!! I've a pretty deep low voice, thank you! ;-)

*Minces off indignantly...*

Al said...

Well we all sound different on the phone, so you never know! (Or perhaps Francesca has a particularly manly voice.)

We only use corded chip and pin machines so we don't have that problem, but it does seem stupid having to go through a menu to get the thing to charge. As James said, you would automatically assume that docking = charging.

Doesn't Pizza Hut have a national number you could have given them, or is that just for the delivery service?

Anonymous said...

hi weve got the same machines and our automatically recharge when there low on battery i think you may need to configure them again