Saturday 15 September 2007

A few things

In February, I posted about the general issues people have about saying the names of menu items. Then Al posted about Christmas already, and the other day someone must have had it on their mind. Instead of a "Feast" meal they asked for a "Festive" meal. I didn't correct them, and they said it about 3 times again to their family. Her husband snapped and ranted "IT IS FEAST NOT FESTIVE!!". I just did a sly smile in his direction and he replied with a shake of the head.

Another taking issue has been "Can I have some receipt?". Ha, sure here's a sachet of receipt.

Then some gypos came in (apologies for this term, but they were). I don't know why we have them on a such a regular basis, but they are frequently camped out on the nearby industrial estate car parks but more and more are putting barriers in. So then they move onto farmers fields which are closer.

So the gypos were in. When I see them walking in, with either vest tops or just no top, I pray they aren't going to come up to the counter. Then they all do. They cannot talk, they can only shout so they immediately seem angry. A father and son (about 10 y.o.) came up and ordered some food which included chicken wings. Our chicken wings are tiny and are a rip off, but there isn't much I can do about that. I put them on the tray and the father picks up the box, and looks inside.

"What tha fack are those!" (you know the accent).
"Errm they're the BBQ chicken wings"
"There's fack all on 'em, they're a facking rip off!".
"Oh right, sorry...do you want them still?"
"Fucking hell what a rip off!"
"I don't set the prices I'm afraid, there isn't much I can do...so do you want them?"

While this was happening, his son (large, topless) was also there mimicking every movement and gesture his dad made. It was a very strange thing to see.

So he sat down with the rest of his family and his other kids and relatives seemed to want stuff. I'd say I got about £20 out of them in the end, not bad!

Yesterday, I was on the front on my own, giving the ICF sauces a clean. Mid way between me doing that there was a sudden rush of customers, so I didn't have a chance to wash my hands of sticky sauce. So then every bit of change I gave out was sticky and you could see the faces on some customers obviously thinking "Great, sticky coins". I tried to hide my glazed fingers as much as possible when I could see them wiping the coins on napkins.

Then later on, a mum and two daughters (about...8 and 11) came up and ordered. In the middle of the transaction, the elder of the daughters, took a bobble out of the younger girl's hair. Then all hell broke loose. The younger one had a seriously bad reaction to having her bobble removed and started kicking her sister, then punching, then wrestling. They ended up fighting on the floor, the younger of the two doing most of the damage. She was kicking her sister in the side and shouting "I hate you, you always pick on me" and various other phrases. The mother didn't realise they were fighting as they were behind her, until I pointed it out...which meant I went "Errrm..." with a pointing finger at them on the floor. Her way of dealing with it was interesting, "OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TWO DOING?". They both got back up, both crying, and saying the other one started it. They were sent to opposite ends of the store to "think" about what they had just done. About 20 seconds later they were joking with each other at the drinks machine. Aww.



Finally to finish off this unusually long(ish) post.

We have matching salt and pepper sachets which are a generic type. Anyone who orders from 3663 can get them.

We get the top ones, in the brown packet. Occasionally, you get the odd white design one, the bottom sachet. I just wondered though, as they are obviously EXACTLY the same except for the sachet design, why Pizza Hut order the top one which looks less 'modern' than the other. I will have to ponder a bit more on this topic I think.

And the corner of the £20 note. Well I found it in one of the till draws and thought I'd nab it...maybe it will come in useful one day and I'll find the other 90% of it. It's not impossible...

3 comments:

Al said...

We get the same sort of people occassionally, you can tell them a mile off. Don't usually get any serious trouble from them although they can generally be a bit of a pain in the arse, but then so can all of our customers. Don't have to see them shirtless though as we don't let anyone who isn't wearing a shirt into the store.

I wonder if the older looking sachet design is like 1p cheaper for every million they order and that's why they do it.

Good luck in your quest to find the rest of that £20 note!

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

I wonder if the older looking sachet design is like 1p cheaper for every million they order and that's why they do it.

Quite possibly. There are about 700 Pizza Hut stores in the UK so there is a fairly reasonable demand for consumables. Recently they decided that to save money on each box of napkins, they'll no longer have the Pizza Hut logo printed on them. They looked a bit naff before, but now they just like thick toilet roll. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I could not do your job for anything. Screaming kids but worse Gypos. I've done a little retailing in my time and the general public are the biggest oiks ever. I worked in a main Vauxhall dealer. A gypo came in and offered me 14 tousand cash (no typo there) for a 28 thousand pound car. He argued with me for what seemed like ages until I snapped, picked him up by his scrawny unwashed Pikey neck and chucked him out of the showroom.