Tuesday 11 September 2007

Kids meal, again

As you will know if you read reasonably regularly, the kids meal is a pain. (Oh and sorry for not blogging for a while). People can't read or make up their own variation of what the kids meal is.

It is:

Pizza & drink OR Chicken dippers, fries & drink.

It is not Pizza, drink & fries.

I had this long stupid conversation with two women, clearly mother and daughter (though the daughter was far from a kid, at least 18 or 19). I'm sure I will have missed out bits but this was he general gist:

"Where are the fries?"
"You don't get fries with the kids meal"
"Yes you do"
"No you don't. You get pizza and drink or chicken dippers, fries and drink"
"Nope"
"Err well that is the menu I'm afraid"
"QUIT LYING. I come here ALL the time and get fries everytime"
"Not in the kids meal you don't"
"I DO - I DO!"
"No sorry"
"Well you must have changed it then."
"I've worked here over a year and you have never got fries with a pizza in the kids meal in all that time"
"You have, I come here all the time, it must have JUST been changed and you haven't realised, so you have LIED"

They were really starting to annoy me now and generally I will just go "Ok" but I decided to fight back, a bit.

"I haven't lied to you. There is no reason for me to lie to you, because to give you fries costs me nothing, but the fact is you don't get fries in that meal. Are you telling me you expect pizza, fries and a drink for £2.49?"

"Yes I am - I always get it!"

"Ok whatever, do you want this kids meal or not?"

"Yes and I suppose I'll have to BUY THE FRIES EXTRA THEN"

After they had got their food I had a little think to myself about some scenarios these women could be in, with me deciding their ultimate fate. Afterwards I thought maybe that was a little irrational but they did annoy me.

Then they sat down on the closest table and slowly ate everything. The mother sat studying the receipt (I'm waiting for my first complaint, can't be long surely..) while the daughter just stared at me constantly. Fine love, I'll stare back at you and get paid for it!

On a side note, Pizza Hut have launched some new cheesey bites. The cheese smells significantly worse than before but apparently tastes nicer.

6 comments:

Al said...

Another example where the customer is quite clearly wrong.

I also use the "I've been here x amount of time and it's been like that since at least then". It works well when you've been working there a while like we have (three years in October, blimey!).

Do you not think it quite strange that one of the kids meals doesn't contain pizza in any way? If I knew my kids didn't want or like pizza I just might seriously consider not going to Pizza Hut. Although I suppose, fickle creatures that they are, it's good to give them a chance to change their mind.

James (UK) said...

Bloody people!

I loved the fact she studied the receipt, as if she could find anything else to complain about.

Anonymous said...

Still amazes me that you can do that job without telling folk like that to shove it. I'd last less than a week, I reckon.

D said...

I'm amazed each and every day by the growing levels of illiteracy in our society.

I seem to be confronted on a daily basis by someone who can't read the menu though it's right in front of their face...

cogidubnus said...

So...errm...do you get chips with it?

po-dad said...

The customer is always right...so on the kids meal just add fries and raise the price. Everyone wins.