Thursday 15 November 2007

Christmas shifts and vouchers

I have just discovered that over Christmas, while I have a few days off - I am working some of the nastiest shifts I've come across. Starting at times, which I didn't think possible. Like 7 hours before we even open. But that does mean shifts will be spent with less customer contact - nice! I have also been told I'm a "crucial" part for Christmas. Which I believe translates to "You better work hard cos we will be knackered if you don't",



And for Christmas, we have discount vouchers again.


An example of the problems this can cause:


Man buys two pizzas and pays for them. I complete the transaction, place voucher and receipt on tray.


"Oh I have one of these already so do the pizza as a buy one get one free"


"I can't I'm afraid, the order has gone through and the receipt has printed"


"WELL RE-PRINT IT"


"I can't anyway, you can't use the voucher in the order in which it is given to you"


"MY WIFE HAS THESE VOUCHERS!!"


"Well if you can get me those vouchers, I will do it this time"


"Fine, I will"


He storms off with a seriously bad attitude.


I watch him talk to his wife and he is disgusted when she doesn't have them. Walks back to the counter.


"FORGET IT" and walks off with food.


Then over the next 30 minutes he kept coming back for refills and asking silly questions, and items the knew we wouldn't have - like some kind of weird mind game.


An odd man. Very odd.

5 comments:

Al said...

We have some catalouges for Christmas which outline all of the photo services we can offer. We get them very year and get a similar problem to you.

Customers pay for their photos and pick up a catalogue which contains money off vouchers for the service they've just purchased. They then bring the voucher in when they come to pick up their pictures looking for us to give them the money back. I have a feeling that by Christmas I'm going to be sick of explaining to people why vouchers can only be used at the time of payment and not an hour/day afterwards.

James (UK) said...

"...asking silly questions, and items the knew we wouldn't have - like some kind of weird mind game."

That bit reminded me of one of my own experiences;

Working as a cashier ages ago for a bank, a pair of blokes in their early 20's came in and one of them was trying to cash a cheque without the correct paperwork / ID etc.

He was totally argumentative, and I was getting exasperated explaining why a bus ticket wasn't ID, how much he could draw without ID, why he couldn't just split his request into lots of smaller encashments etc.

Finally, after about 10 minutes of arguing, he went to leave, and then as an apparent afterthought, came back and started asking me for coin bags, leaflets, advice on savings accounts, then different coin bags etc.

Again, like you, I'm sure he was doing it to be funny, but I couldn't see the point of him wasting his own time...?

Nick said...

Free Pizza Hut... Why Not?
Yummy Pizza

Anonymous said...

Don’t think all the difficult customers use Pizza Hut; there are many difficult customers who use up market places like the Ivy and Chez Nico. I once, many years ago when hard up, doubled as a wine waiter, or as they pretentiously called it “a sommelier” in an up market hotel. Some of the customers were unbelievably rude, especially lawyers for some reason. The more malevolent ones delighted in tasting the wine and sending it back with some specious complaint whilst all their cronies giggled.

Anonymous said...

Arrogant aresholes just like the PH CEO