Friday 3 August 2007

Canadians and the naughty broom

I have a few different topics from this week:

Canadians
Well, we had an invasion of the centre with about 40 sports kids (don't know what sport..) all dressed in bright orange. We couldn't work out if they were Australian or American so we decided on Canadian. It was funny to look around and see people all in orange. They were generally very civil but lacking in manners when they didn't understand you - everyone of them went "WHAT?!!" instead of "Pardon" or "Excuse me". They were complimentary though with comments such as "Dude you guys are quick at serving!" and "Wow it's ready now?". That was nice. They about cleared out the already cooked pizza because on a normal Monday...it is just people on their lunch hour. They had about 20 meals in total. On my break later on I saw their coach struggling round the car park, bumping up over kerbs and revving like mad. The driver must have completely missed the signs saying "NO HGVS OR LARGE VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT"


Discounts
A guy from M&S came for a meal and asked for discount. I explained that we stopped doing it. "Well that isn't very good is it!" The advantage of serving other stores employees, is that you know they won't complain (well not very often) or are CHAMPS. "Well do you give us a discount?" I asked. "Umm no." "Thats' the exact reason why we stopped it."

Sauce
"Do you want any sauce, we do tomato, BBQ or mayo?"
"Sauce - yes"
"Tomato, BBQ or mayo?"
"Yes - do you have SAUCE?"
"YEAH, we have TOMATO, BBQ or MAYO?"
Long pause
"Sauce."
"Ok I'll just give one of each"

Ungratefulness
I was standing at the counter, looking down as I was stamping loyalty cards ready to be given out. I see a figure in the corner of my eye, so I decide to finish the last card I'm on and then look up to serve the customer (if there is one). Before I could do this though, I hear "ONE SIDE SALAD". Bloody impatient git. I press the Salad button on the till and get the salad out of the fridge. I ask which dressing she would like. "I don't need one - my other salad fell on the floor so I have still have the pot of dressing". She is fiddling with coins preparing to pay. I don't know the company policy on replacing dropped food, but whenever I see it happen I'll always replace it for free, because I'm kind like that. Most people are appreciative of this, not today though as when I said "Oh right, it's ok then you don't need to pay for another. Here you go" handing her the salad I got a grumpy "Fine - whatever" and she walked back to her table.

The naughty broom
This morning I was waiting for the dough to be done (in the ADPR...Automatic Defroster, Proofer, Retarder) and thought while the walk in fridge is nearly empty I'll sweep and mop it. I'd finished sweeping so pulled the mop and bucket in, and chucked the broom out of the fridge. I watched in, as if in some kind of slow motion film, I broom fall slowly from me to the fire alarm call point. It is the type without glass, and bugger, the top of the handle pushed the button. Because the system thinks "Oh my god, someone has seen a fire and set the alarm off...this must be real!" it went straight to evacuate with the deep bellowing voice I mentioned before. I (well actually the broom) was going to be responsible for 100s of people leaving their shopping and possibly £1000s in lost sales. Luckily this happened at about 8am so there were no customers and we got it turned off within about 30 seconds. Phew.

5 comments:

Al said...

One of the warehouse staff did a similar thing with a fire alarm point once and caused a complete store evacuation. He's still getting the piss taken out of him now.

Luckily someone managed to cancel the fire brigade before they turned up.

James (UK) said...

Canadians and Americans are so much more polite that we British are now... Oh, and I think "what" is used as "pardon" and "Excuse me" tend to be very British-centric phrases, IMHO.

Did you hear lots of "A-boots" rather than "about"? That would give the game away and mark them as Canadian. (Re: "South Park") ;-)

Oh, and I can sympathise with you... there are what seems like billions of scouts clogging Chelmsford at the moment, thanks to this World Jambouree thing. :-(

Discount-wise, I read a similar post about Starbucks employees lending their discount cards to family members and how they've been told to stop doing it now.

Saucy thought: Given how illiterate our country is becoming, I guess you could have a laminated set of "picture cards" to show idiots like this. For this case, you could have had one that had a picture of the sauce packet for BBQ, along with a picture of a BBQ, A picture of a steak or cow being branded, and a brown "puddle" representing the sauce!

"ADPR...Automatic Defroster, Proofer, Retarder" - Going to make a note of this, and save it for a pub quiz or something. ;-)

Why not post a few more jargon / abbreviations like this, perhaps with a clue or two for us to guess?

Lucky about the alarm! I heard once that someone high up in my company was sending an email with everyone's performance review notes and suggested salary increase (or not) to the "big boss" and inadvertantly emailed it to everyone. Thinking on their feet, they hit the nearest fire alarm, got everyone out, and then apparently everyone had to stay out whilst the tech. guys removed all the emails from all the inboxes.

Sianna XD said...

Must have been Americans.
(Oh and by the way-- I have never heard anyone that says "about" like "a-boots".) (And yes every country has their jerks.)

Anonymous said...

You seem to get pleasure out of cleaning, and take pride in your efforts.

Are you like this at home?

David said...

We have to same attitude to passengers going past their stops. We get on the radio and ask the next driver going the other way to pick them up and take them back free of charge. It got a bit near to braking point the other day when a passenger got on my bus and called the other driver an ignorant b****** for taking him past the Harbour. He got even more upset when I tried to tell him what a harbour looked like.