Thursday 9 August 2007

Mothers, grandmothers and piss takers.

It's the summer holiday for loads of kids and students. So what do parents do with their toddlers. Take them shopping of course! Great, because the kids are always polite and most of all, willing to accept help.

The mothers though, I noticed today particularly, are moody, ignorant cows. I accept it is not all of them, but nearly every woman with kids I served today either; had a scowl on their face, wouldn't listen to me, snapped at me when I attempted an upsell, snapped at me when I said they could get a pizza and drink cheaper than just a pizza, didn't use any manners, tutted at me or were just plain rude. There were the nice ones, but you just don't remember them.

Then there was the grandmother who I watched used the ICF. She left the ICF running, but instead of walking off like most people, she screamed and started shouting "SOMEBODY HELP - I can't get this thing to turn off!" I walked over and lifted up the lever, saying "Just lift this up and it stops..." "Oh lovey - I thought it automatically shut off...." then she had a laughing fit and walked off. I made a comment about being an ice cream woman but she either ignored, or didn't hear me.

Ok, so we're shut, we shut on time because we all want to get out as early as possible but that doesn't mean we will compromise quality or service. Infact my customer service is probably better at ten minutes to closing because I'm getting chirpy about leaving.

So at the end of the night, we have left over food. Do we want it? No, we're all sick to death of the stuff. A few times a week cleaners and security will ask for it. No problem because we like you and it will be thrown away otherwise. Sometimes people from other stores will ask for it, no problem, take it - it's yours. But, the public "customers" asking for it is a bit of tricky subject. One reason is brand standards. The other, probably more important is a little thing called Food Safety Law.

Up until a few days ago I'd give them one or two pizzas. But I have noticed an increase in piss takers. I offered you one free pizza. You want two. Ok here's two. You want four. Now you can piss off. Leave the store. Get out I hate you.

Then there are the chavs, who you give one pizza to one chav, you get about 6 chavs appear, all wanting pizza. You can piss off as well!

Then you get the ones, who think it is their RIGHT to have the pizza.
"You're only going to chuck them away so give me them"
"Ok here's one"
"I'll take all of them"
"No sorry I can't do that"
"OH THIS IS DISGUSTING, you're going to throw them away anyway - give me them"
"No"
"WHY NOT?"

In the above case I walked off and put the shutter down. She wasn't a customer so had no cause for complaint, she just got free pizza. She soon got out when she saw the metal heading her way.

Then there were the ones who, I gave two pizzas to, then said they were calling their friends to see if they wanted any. No way are they. I went and put the shutter down. Then oh my god, they're banging on the shutter and shouting "How dare you close!".

So a few days ago, I decided I will not give free pizza to any member of the public after we have closed, no way ever again.

Then yesterday, one of the newer team members was getting agro from two women who wanted free pizza. Me and the manager were sitting in the back listening. Manager said to me "Tell 'em to piss off will you". Yes! Hehe I'm always up for an argument with non-customers.

I stomped out there...

[rant]
"Listen, you have already been told you're not going to get free pizza and the reason why. I'm only going to ask you once to leave, now, or we will have to call security and have you removed."
[/rant]

They walked out silent but heads shaking. TM went to me "Thank you". Manager went "Woah where did that come from!". Afterwards I thought maybe I'd gone over the top. But then thought, if they complained, I'd have two witnesses that they were both rude and we were reasonable and following procedure and eventually had to resort to a "customer asked to leave store" situation.

James, suggested I do some type of quiz with some Pizza Hut acronyms. To be honest I can't think of anything I haven't mentioned before on here!! I do however...when I get round to it, put some pictures of items we use on a daily basis to see if you can work out what they do. It'll probably be pretty easy...!

3 comments:

Al said...

It amazes me that some people think they have the right to free pizza or whatever just because the place is closing.

James (UK) said...

Like Al says above, it cracks me up that people do assume "a right" to have something like this. I'd just have been happy to have been offered anything and not been greedy... *sigh*

It's the chavs and people like that who spoil it for everyone, as usual.

I went on a work "team building" course years ago (more details if anyone wants them) and one "game" was each team had to build the tallest freestanding structure out of nothing but newspaper and Sellotape.

There were nine teams, I think, with 6 people in each. The instructor said "OK, you have 10 minutes, and the tape and newspapers are on that table...Go!"

... and what happened? The first person to run to the table took 99% of the tape and papers for their team!

When we had the game "debrief", the trainer pointed this out as the first "non team player" issue to address.

/sarcasm mode on

I tell you, that really was a fun day...

/sarcasm mode off

"ICF" still throws me, thinking of the competition, until I read on and realise it's the "Mr Whippy" thing... ;-)

That woman sounds like someone who could be the "monkey reaches through bars for coconut, can't draw hand back through again with coconut as it's too wide" thing!

You could have said to her "Quick! Quick! Put your head under it and open your mouth!" or how about grabbing her handbag / one of her bags full of shopping and saying Quick! Catch it in this! and then open the top and pass it to her before she realises it's hers etc. I would have enjoyed seeing that!

James (UK) said...

Forgot to add... the "identify the pictures" thing sounds just as good, and I look forward to it!