Thursday 18 October 2007

Donations

So for 4 weeks we can now ask for a 20p donation to be added to a customers bill.

I really don't mind whether someone donates or not, but it does draw your attention to them a bit more if a customer does not agree to the donation.

Two which stuck out for me were:

One who looked at the cause poster (we got them now as well as badges), and said a cold "No, don't care bout that". Fine. Then went on to moan about everything: Ice, Tango, gas, having to wait, the straws being 2 steps away from the machine, me turning off the Tango because he complained (not much else I could do!) and anything else. He also spat the top of the straw wrapper onto the floor and left the rest on the counter. He also made a huge trail of Tango. What a chav.

The next person who didn't donate, had a daughter, about 15 I reckon accompanied by a friend.. We have self service drinks which you get after you have paid. You either have hot or cold. You don't have cold and then come back with a McDonalds hot cup and use that for hot because you thought it was free refills.

I had this conversation with the daughter:
"Are you alright there?"
"Err yes" - reveals the McDonalds cup.
"That's £1.39 please"
"What?"
"The coffee...you have to pay for it, it's £1.39"
"But my friend had a drink, I thought it was refills!?"
"Yeah, but that is a McDonalds cup."
"And?"
"You can't use that here, and your friend had a cold drink anyway"
"Oh right"
"Can you tip that coffee away please?" - I'd rather them tip it away and waste it than back down and let them get it for free!
"Ok.."

She was nice and did it.

So these are the type of people who don't donate.

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

I must admit, I really don't like being asked like this, as I feel you do end up giving because you feel you "have to" or you're embarrassed not to.

I've been on the end of plenty of icy stares myself having said "No, thanks" in the same situation.

With me, I'd much rather just give to the charities I want to, without feeling "bullied".

This is just my view, and I appreciate you and no doubt a lot of people won't see it as bullying at all, but I do expect there will be some who agree with me though.

But, I never go as far as a tip I read in Viz, which said if you get approached at Supermarkets by charity collectors, hurry past into the store as if you've not seen them. Then peel off a fruit label from an apple or similar, stick it to your lapel, and then as you leave the store and are approached by them again, you can say loudly "Already given, thanks!" and tap your lapel.

;-)

Al said...

Ah, so people like that are the reason I can never find the PLU sticker on apples and the like :)

It's a difficult one this, I think. On one hand I can see your point James, if other people are within earshot you might feel pressured into giving to a charity you might not support otherwise. However, it's not like it's a massive amount so even if I really didn't care about it like one of the people in the post I would say yes anyway.

I don't see it as bullying though and I wouldn't mind being asked. I don't think it's right to pass judgement on those who choose not to donate however with icy stares etc.

If Pizza Hut were really that concerned then why not donate 20p per transaction without charging the customers extra. Good PR too.

James (UK) said...

Now, Al's made a good point there...

Although I don't like the "would you like to add 20p" idea, I'm someone who may well get a Pizza over Chinese / Indian etc., if the Pizza chain was donating 50p / £1 of the cost to a charity.

I suppose for me, it all depends on the charity, and the way I'm "asked", if you see what I mean.

For example, is showing starving children on TV at a time when most people will be tucking into their dinners "wrong"? Or is it clever, because we are more likely to think about it, as we are eating?

How many charities will be upping their advertising as Christmas approaches, making sure they include a "tragic" scene overdubbed by "Silent Night"?

Or am I just being too cynical?

(Just my thoughts and views of course, and not necessary right or wrong.)