Saturday 13 October 2007

World Hunger Relief Week and YUMSOP

Next week is World Hunger Relief Week. If you visit a Pizza Hut or KFC restaurant anywhere in the world you should be asked if you would like to donate to the World Food Programme. Personally I'd prefer to raise more money for Starlight but that is just me. What is that interesting is that they are making a huge song and dance about it - but they won't provide any signage, or a small pot of money so we can organise something. If a store wants to do something they need to do it from someones pocket first. It is a worthwhile cause but I think more of a publicity thing for Yum!.

Yum! are giving all employees who have been with them over a year to participate in the Yum! Brands Inc. Share Ownership Programme, YUMSOP for short. It looks quite good to be honest, as Yum! is on the up overall. You save up for three years, and then at the end of the three years you have the option to get your savings + bonus, buy shares at the agreed price from this year and sell them on, or buy shares and keep them to sell at a later date. So even if Yum! begins to drop in share price, you won't lose.

I think this is a pretty standard share save thing but it is quite good anyway.

The example they give is:

36 monthly payments of £20 = £720
Bonus = £48
Total = £768
No of shares you can get at the agreed price = 46

The price is £16.67 so if they go up £2 you're about £150 better off plus you got all the money you saved. I might go for it...but I don't know much about shares. And I also doubt I'll be there in 3 years but you can still get the bonus if you leave but not buy shares.

Oh and by the way, I'm aching a lot because I've been on my feet for no less than 11 hours today (sympathy please?) and I'm doing it all again tomorrow.

3 comments:

James (UK) said...

That's a co-incidence, as my legs ache today, but no real reason behind it I can think of. ;-)

Go for the shares.., my company does the same thing and virtually everyone does the maximum that they can every year.

I agree with you on Starlight... looks to be very worthy and I've bookmarked it to look at more thouroughly later.

And if someone asked me to donate with no posters or "evidence" around that they were "kosher", I'd be very wary of giving!

Al said...

You can have some sympathy from me, my feet can hurt after nine hours depending on what I'm doing so eleven definitely gets sympathy.

If you can't lose with the shares thing then you might as well go for it. I have shares in my company, we get given a few at the end of each year but I have also purchased some as well. I don't know much about them either but I figure that, with the exception of a major disaster for the company, the free shares will make up for any drop in value of the purchased ones.

David said...

We have the same idea at Stagecoach. When you get the shares they also give you the option of buying more shares with the divident each year. It is a sort of hidden saving scheme that is a bit harder to dig into and therefore more likely to stay safe if you get a bit short.
I ache after 9 1/2 hours and I am sitting down all day. I don't think I would last a day in your job.