Monday 6 November 2006

Front of House

I am on front of house again, as I have mastered the art of pot wash and other tasks. I seem to have forgotten certain prices and details, but I think I recovered them after a few customers. I have also taken to drinking TEA constantly, like I work in an office or something...I used the last of the milk portions, which left a small problem, I hope they come in a delivery soon.

We've been fully stocked up the last few days, which means maximum upsell potential. Shame there were NO customers. I have had the slowest few nights I can remember, and a manager who has been there a few years, agreed. I think everyone's run out of money and/or is saving up Christmas.

Now there are two customers who stick out recently.

The first is a priest/vicar - I'm not sure which is which. But anyway he pops along. He buys a portion of "chips". I'm always suspicious of this, as they are FRIES. When ever someone buys a portion of fries by themselves, I tend to give them the bigger portions, as they have paid individually for them. I'd like to give everyone bigger portions but they fall out the bags so it is difficult on busy days. I give him his fries. The next bit was:

"Would you like any sauces with those?"
"Is that it!" "£1.09 for that!"
"Erm...we only do one size I'm afraid"- I didn't really know what to say
"What is it - 10p a chip!"
"Well not quite, they are Pizza Hut special seasoned fries...would you like any sauces?"
Now the priest was looking round for some spectators to this conversation.
"I can't believe it - look at that portion!" and other phrases were pouring out.

He probably actually said around 5 times more than what is above, but it was very repetitive. He seemed quite joking/jolly about the situation. I offered him another portion free of charge. He declined. Argh! Other customers were laughing with/at him - weird/funny I don't know.

The other featured customer was the mother and two children.

We are close to a Full Serve Restaurant, but very often people come to us, then go there after, because we don't offer what they want. These people wanted sweetcorn and tuna. These two are about the most requested toppings, but we don't do them - as they aren't that popular. They had the choice of making do with something from our store or going to the FSR only a mile or so away. But how long could this decision possibly take. FIFTEEN MINUTES. This was reached by putting an order through, them paying then wanted to cancel it. Refunds are difficult, but possible. Even after they had got their refund - there were still hanging round deciding what to do. I could be doing far more useful things than just standing there glaring at them, just in case they want to order.

Oh and I think I have mentioned this breed of customer before, or at least a sub breed of them. They are the ones who bring their parents who speak no English whatsoever, but they do. So the customer will make their order - then talk to their parents about what they want ordering, hopefully so they can tell me. But no, they get the parents to tell me. Sorry, I can't understand what you are saying. Then they are offended when I ask them to repeat what they said, or repeat 'Veggie' instead of 'Supreme' or similar. I don't know how people manage to get them to sound the same, but they do. GET THE FLUENT ENGLISH SPEAKING PERSON TO GIVE ME YOUR ORDER.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ah, the spam has found you. Now there is no escape.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
scaryice said...

Wow, you have some crazy toppings in the UK. Tuna, sweetcorn, goat cheese; that would never work in the US.

Looking at the two menus, I think the only ones we have that you don't are bacon and banana peppers.