Thursday 8 March 2007

ANGRY

Hmph I'm angry because my till was down £10 in 'odd' circumstances. I ain't paying it until I have spoken to the Restaurant General Manager and get proper answers. I can't really explain the story because it is so specific. Anyway I'll be locking my till every single time I move away from it and watching the counting of it everytime. To be honest, it isn't really about the money, it is more the principle that someone I should trust is POSSIBLY stealing from ME personally. Yeah it might have been my fault...but my till in nearly 7 months has never been down more than £1.50. I notice every single note I put in and do not make mistakes. This whole thing has caused me to phone people to express my anger - so I saw here as a another place to rant.

Anyway that small moan aside...had quite a few funny(ish) things happen


Some chap came in and asked for a pizza with Jalfrezi peppers! I think he meant Jalapeño but we don't have them either so that was the end of that.


This man would not keep away though. He came up to me as I was cleaning the drinks machine. "Hiya mate - this pizza is like a bloody frisbee". I was a bit confused...yeah it is round so I suppose you could say that. He then got it out the box and stated it was "Stone cold and rock 'ard!". Ok I felt it, just because I enjoy mauling food with my hands (yeah, I'm odd). He grabbed it out my hand and then BANGED it on the counter. Yeah it was pretty solid and it didn't crumble or fall apart. I replaced it (because I am a very nice person. Honest. Just because I won't give you a 0.0001p extra cup for your child to sip from doesn't mean I'm not kind....) Then he came back for a refill on his drink. "Yeah...the fries were a bit cold" mutter to himself. I also replaced those - even though he'd eaten the first set. (Told you I was nice)..

A woman came in and said she wanted a "Fast meal", which is of course Feast. There is no error of the spelling on the menu board. "So what do you want in your feast...". "Oh feast - well it is spelt fast up there!". It isn't. I will take a photo of it when I remember to prove this. I didn't bother arguing though.


These two 'larger' ladies came in and did not like our menu or prices one bit and stormed out - saying "We'll just order from Dominoes!". Sorry?!


A couple were filling up their coffees. I recognised the bloke from one of the shops at the shopping centre - he is the manager of it - so must have reasonable intelligience. Nah, no such luck. He held the button in on the coffee machine when there is no need and when it didn't fill it right to brim, he banged it and then "Ahhh it is going everywhere" followed. He didn't think to press the big red "STOP" button. And in a terrible coincidence I was out there tidying the lobby so I offered to help and get him a new cup plus pour away the old stuff. Trying to be helpful he was holding the cup at the same time of me, trying to make it stable. That didn't really work out, so I had a lovely 90c coffee going over my hand - he had it black as well...no milk to cool it down. He grabbed it off me and poured it in the huge drip tray - not helpful, it isn't drained. I wasn't burnt, but it was rather unpleasant.

One of the pond boys was in again - they can't keep away.


Finally, credit cards. We used to have a machine which was so fast, it was great. Then something happened to it - it just kept bleeping and bleeping but still worked so we got an identical replacement. Yeah it is slow. For a while I thought it might just be the service, cos it is one of the those dial up things (see below). So people tend to get impatient. So it displays a message "DO NOT REMOVE CARD" and occasionally "SORRY FOR DELAY". But this woman, took her card out way too early. I saw it still said "DO NOT REMOVE CARD" and then it does a huge bleep and says on the screen I can see "CARD REMOVED - TRANSACTION CANCELLED". Plain and simple as that. But she then point blank denies it says it say "Remove card!". No it didn't. She then thought I was trying to charge her twice. Why would I bother, there is no way I could possibly benefit from charging your card twice. She was still suspicious when I gave her the receipt which had "VOID" on.

Aww and then a guys card got declined twice....and it is so mean about it - that is all it says "DECLINED". No sorry or anything. Oh well.

It looks like this but with a fish and chip keypad:


Well that is a long post, but I had a bad day.

3 comments:

Al said...

Our card machines are quite good. The only thing they don't like is if you have to cancel at the PIN entry (usually because the customer changes their mind on payment or decides that now would be a good time to produce the loyalty card you asked about earlier but were ignored). They tend to refuse to then read any cards until they are restarted and they can't be restarted until the transaction is complete, as they are integrated into the till itself. Manual card entry is a pain.

Hope you get your till shortage sorted. I would agree about never letting anyone use your till, although I can't parctice it myself.

AggressiveAdmin said...

At Food Place, we have to be incredibly careful about how we handle till discrepancies. In the first instance, if more than one operator is involved, all we can do is inform them of the loss/gain and ask them if they can shed any light on why it's happened.

The cashiers then have to be isolated, which means we have to float tills specially for them and not let anybody else use them. If nothing else untoward happens within a week, the original loss is assumed to be a mistake.

I think it's very accusatory of them to a) take the money out of your wage b) disregard the fact your tills are shared. I would complain higher.

Anonymous said...

Money used to go missing out of my till when I used to work in a supermarket.. Started to happen more & more. Turned out to be the girl who used to cover my lunch break