Thursday 7 June 2007

Chips

I have mentioned before I don't like people calling FRIES - CHIPS. But I know what people mean normally.

Small woman at the counter, weird accent:
"Toe cheeps ples"
"Sorry?"
"Toe cheeps ples"
"Two fries?"
"Nah - toe cheeps"
"Ehh...do you want fries...?"
"No...cheeps"
"Oh right well we only do fries.....they are similar though"
"Lemi see" - I show her the fries
"YES CHEEPS...TWO OF!!!"

HEAD-SHARP CORNER OF WALL-HEAD-SHARP CORNER OF WALL-HEAD-SHARP CORNER OF WALL

Also, the girl who called me sarcastic returned. She was a BIT more civil this time and only had one other possy member with her, but still managed to come out with her own sarcastic comment when being called to my till "Oh great, look, it's my friend...". How rude!

Plus also I don't normally do this but I must do a bit of general ranting:


  • --New neighbours taking the mick with the bin collections. I've seen this bloke giving absolute total random items to the bin men three times, every week. Today, he ran out to the bin men...who were in there lorry identical to this one with an 8ft x 2ft plank of MDF. I was so bothered by this because, one, it is recycling lorry, two he had a massive flatbed truck parked outside his house as he had the builders in and three that he does this all the time and expects them to take it - how the hell can they with the lorry they are in??!! The next lorry came round and bloody hell he is there again. This time with 8 bin liners as well as wheelie bin full. He just walks up to the lorry and starts chucking it on. He manages to get 4 on before it sped off round the corner and he looked totally miffed as to why it had gone before he had but all his rubble in . Extra bags normally cost about £1.50 each!

  • --The woman who, when I was a small shop, was going balastic at the girl behind the counter on the phone to what sounded like a customer. "DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD GET OFF THAT PHONE AND SERVE ME" "I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WAIT AROUND" "GET OFF THAT PHONE RIGHT NOW" "THIS IS RIDICULOUS"

  • --Getting phone calls when I'm about to catch a bus and then missing the bus as I answered the call.

PS: Sorry about the random layout

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

--The woman who, when I was a small shop, was going balastic at the girl behind the counter on the phone to what sounded like a customer. "DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD GET OFF THAT PHONE AND SERVE ME" "I DON'T HAVE TIME TO WAIT AROUND" "GET OFF THAT PHONE RIGHT NOW" "THIS IS RIDICULOUS"

This is one of my pet peeves too... along with other staff members talking to the assistant who is supposed to be serving you.

I don't mind when it's obviously work related and urgent, but when the assistant serving you starts recounting her holiday "shag tally" whilst she's supposed to be ringing though my shopping, I get rather miffed too!

My great tip is to join in the conversation, or try and offer help / tips. For example, I had to endure two assistants trying to decide where to go for lunch whilst I just stood there, being ignored.

After a few minutes, I started suggesting places they could go, giving food reviews, and the like, all done in a friendly manner.

They were so un-nerved, they stopped nattering and served me.

:-)

Oh, and I saw a Starbucks in the States that had a great sign by the till;

"If you are engaged on a call on your mobile, you are not in the queue"

Anonymous said...

Join in the conversation, great tip, I'll start doing that,maybe I will get served quicker,

Anonymous said...

I HATE sharing phone conversations... I refuse to do it...

Mind you, I'm funy over vocabularly too...chips are british, fries aren't...just accept this and life will suddenly become a lot easier (and before you start quoting the US, left pond "chips" are what we call crisps, whilst fries are what we call "chips"

However, I love the Starbucks ethos... you ain't awake until you've ordered your first coffee...quality!

Arriva Driver said...

I dont mind staff members having friendly chat with colleagues at work. Its not fair to expect them to be silent and only ever talk when required.

However, I dont like members of the public who assume that because you work in a customer facing role (i.e. a shop, fast food or call centre) that you are a lower form of existence.

These people you can spot from a mile away and they wonder WHY they get such poor service.

Treat how you expect to be treated. If a customer was nice to me, I always went that extra mile to make sure they got everything and now I still do.

Al said...

Never was a truer word spoken, arriva driver.