Monday 11 September 2006

First Day

Just got back - very good day I think...!

Started, having to share a till as I don't have my own card yet, but will get one tomorrow. Was also given my uniform.

So are pizzas made fresh? Yup - the dough arrives made, but are then made into the correct shape. The fresh toppings are then put on top, and placed through the oven. They are then put onto the rack of pizzas, ready for us to give to the customer. Officially they are meant to be changed every 30 minutes, but they never last that long anyway - so it makes no difference. Garlic bread etc is all made fresh to order.

Is the place clean? Yes, both public and round the back - the cleaning is very particular too, pots washed twice, floors mopped every day, all stainless cleaned and polished every day.

Customers! All pretty friendly so far, but I've already worked out the type I dislike the most. The ones who stand in the queue for a few minutes, get to the front - then decide what they want! Tea and coffee - it's on the menu but the machine has not yet been installed (have got it however). One problem customer:

"One tea please"
"Sorry, we haven't tea right now as our machine has not yet been installed"
"Just a tea then please"
"Sorry - we haven't got a machine to do that".
"WON'T BE COMING HERE AGAIN THEN"
I just stared.

Miserable crow...

Related sales - if we sell a meal we are meant to offer a side ie. garlic bread etc. I was really surprised how many people have something extra when offered - over 50%, no wonder it has been driven into me already that I must ask if they want a side.

End of the day, clean everything up etc on the front - the BOH staff dealing with kitchen cleaning except mopping.

Also - employees can have as much food as they want within reason, and providing they do not eat it where the customer can see.

One problem, as I have been sharing a till today...we're £10 down on my shared till. Was it me or was it my colleague? Normally it will be docked from whos till it was, but luckily today manager said will let you off as it was my first day and was sharing a till. I honestly don't think it was me, but then again everyone will say that. I will actually prefer it when I have my own card so I can be responsible for my own actions.

Excellent so far though! Hopefully I'll have some more customer moans tomorrow...I want people to moan, because I know thats what THE READER wants!

Please comment if you have read this...

Thanks.

2 comments:

Nathan Tunnah said...

I've just got a job there, sounds really good!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hiya!
I know this post was written ages and ages ago but if you're still out there did you get paid whilst in training? :] x