Wednesday 13 September 2006

Rude, camp, friendly and indecisive

Another good day today, a few more noticeable customers today though!

First a few general updates - card machine working again - it was actually yesterdays manager who hadn't got a clue what he was doing so put an out of order sign on. Hot drinks machine - being installed tomorrow, no longer will I have to say sorry we don't do them...(more people seem to want hot drinks than I'd have thought - about 1 in 5). And my till was right again today - :-).

Now to the customers...the first one - rude.

Was very short with me, dismissing the reasonable suggestion he could get a drink and fries for just an extra 30p with "I've told you what I want". Moron.

Next - camp - very friendly man in a smart suit with purple, tiny purple goatie beard, bald head...Nice funny guy suggesting that having mineral water was gay BUT there was nothing wrong with being gay! Various other comments, my joint friendliest customer of the day.

The other joint friendliest was just a normal chap coming home from work, who pleased I suggested having a meal - saved him money and he got more. All the usual please thank yous etc, but just I felt he was very sincere - nice man.

Then there was the friendly but kind of annoying customers. The wanted garlic bread, this is cooked fresh to order so I told them I would bring it over with one of their pizzas which also required cooking and if they wanted to take their other food - agreed to this. Pizza and garlic bread ready, I go to take it out. Box falls off tray - wahay goes the pizza - another now requires cooking - so I give them the garlic bread and offer them an alternative and some free fries for the trouble, they agree to this. I think to myself, stupid for dropping it but well done for handling it well. Anyway - THIRTY minutes later, man is standing at counter.

"Are you bringing my --- pizza over?".
"Oh sorry sir, I thought we agreed to swap and you have some free fries which I have given you." "No"
"Oh well I thought we had.."
"So what can we do?"
I ummed and then just gave them the pizza. More trouble than it is worth to NOT give them the pizza. They'll only ask to see the manager, and because I'm only a rookie they'll give them a free pizza anyway and give me a grilling (although it won't be hardly anything - I just don't want to be in bad books).

Then there was the indecisive...
"I'll have the pizza deal please - marg."
"Fries and Pepsi please..."
"No wait cancel that"
*mutters to child - you want a pizza too?* *child replies - "NO MUMMY I WANT MCDONALDS!"
Mother "Yeah so make that two pizzas"
Then the rest of the family decide they'll pop along just as I'm about to hit pay.
Basically goes along the lines of they all want pizza.
"So I'll have the mega deal then please"
No I have to fetch the manager card to cancel the previous orders...not a pain - adds interest to my job.
Payment goes through.
"Can we swap one of the pizzas to a salad?"
Cancel the order again, find salad. None ready on front - have to fetch them from the back walk in fridge. Pull out pizza trolley (we have trolleys with stacks of pizzas which have been premade earlier ready. No salads. Ask manager what to do - just give two side salads and an apology.
Great now the customer tells me they want chicken salad! Not a problem now, but it was then as I wasn't trained on chicken salad, and wasn't aware it must be shouted to BOH (back of house) for them to prepare the hot chicken - ie. cut it up. The customer is happy to have the chicken as it is without it being cut - but then nosey colleague pops along (my equal) and grumbles it should be cut - now the customer is telling her SHE PREFERS IT NOT CUT! Argh, after a discussion with manager and colleague they can take the chicken uncut - WHY THE BIG ISSUE?!

So I blame nearly everyone including myself in that order - me because I had no idea about chicken salad, colleague for sticking her nose in and causing a problem and the customer for going from 1 pizza, to 2, to 4 to 3 and a salad and finally settling on 3 pizzas and a chicken salad. I had to cancel and redo the entire order 3 times!

Clean up was similar to yesterday except I did entire FOH - and had problems again because colleague decides to mop BOH around 7.30, so I'm effectively trapped in FOH for 45 minutes. Just as we are all leaving, manager asks colleague if she has turned off the ovens. "Yes I did!". Around 3 "Are you sure?" At least another 3 "Yes!". Manager, "I'm checking anyway." Guess what - OVEN ON! Not only would that have cost a hell of a lot of money overnight, it would have almost certainly set the fire alarm off, if not causing a fire. I like the managers - they seem to have intellienge unlike the others (except me of course!!)

I'm working 4 days this week rather than the 3 originally quoted - was offered an extra day so took it. Training on Saturday...got the information on it - looks like fun!! All corporate stuff...

More posts tomorrow and Saturday! Please comment if you read :-)

2 comments:

caramaena said...

Hi, I'm reading :)

Anonymous said...

Likewise. Don't you just love the customers who can't make up their mind?