Thursday 26 April 2007

Refills

We are shut, so I'm taking the nozzles off the Britvic machine for cleaning. I leave them on the side, the shutter is half down. I walk away to get the mop and the next thing I hear is "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" - the sound of Pepsi syrup and carbonated water spraying everywhere, including on the child who has come to get a refill.

I sold this family a meal about 20 minutes because closing time, so really they did have enough time to get at least one refill...

Then I go away and think "What an idiot.." and see the mother getting up and heading towards me. Oh god here we go.

"I want my refill!"
"Sorry the machine has been taken apart now because we're closed"
"But you advertise free refills."
"You can have refills up until we close - we are closed"
"But it says free refills up there."
"Yes I know - there is also an opening hours sign up there telling you when we shut..."
"Well I want a bottle of water then!"
"Sorry you can't have one."
"Why?"
"You haven't paid for it."
"I shouldn't have to"
"The free refill deal is available up until we close and we are now closed, so sorry there is nothing more I can do".

I walked off and could see she was still hanging round...probably thinking about trying to get a drink, or asking to speak to the manager. Bugger that! I put the shutter down right in front of her before she had time to react.... I think you had to be there to see exactly how this worked, but it was brilliant!

There was some more general weirdness but I'll post about that tomorrow.

5 comments:

D said...

I love the feeling of putting the shutters down in front of irritating customers. I think it's their look of pure indignation. It's just so satisfying!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, you seem to have a funny idea about customer service... How to lose customers in one easy lesson....

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

What more could I do - I can't just give out bottles of water to everyone who forgot to get their refills.

D said...

Sometimes, people just don't understand what closed means until you physically do it. Sad, but true.

Simply Aware said...

As someone who works with the public, I can identify with your comments. It's sometimes impossible to get through the day without wanting to strangle someone, yet you have to appear friendly. I love that you are willing to share your days with us!