Wednesday 11 October 2006

Extra work

Today was pretty much an average busy level, but it seemed like I was always doing something - which is good! We had one muffin left at the end (well we actually had about 50 but we don't want customers looking at them - as they make them turn bad) in the cabinet - so I couldn't clean that until close. I tend to use the muffin cabinet as a marker point, as it is generally the point at which I begin to do the things I can't do when customers are hanging round.

Had to do a few feast meals today (4 pizzas and some other stuff). Why do two seperate customers when asked "Are you eating in or taking out?" Both say eating in, so I load it onto trays - then just as I call over the next customer shout "Actually, I'll have that to take out". This might not seem like too much of a problem, but it takes about 1 minute to swap the packaging etc. 1 minute doesn't sound like much either - but when you are standing in a queue 1 minute can easily feel like 5 minutes can't it?

Then there was the gentleman, who because of this own arrogance insisted that he wanted all seperate meals, spent around £7 more than he had to, even though I made suggestions to him on how he could get the exact same product but cheaper. Oh well - some people just have money to burn. Sure, I'll try to get you to buy an extra side - but I will also try to save you money. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!

Then ice cream factory again. I cleaned it around 15 minutes to close. Then some lovely children decided they would get ice cream everywhere. I mean everywhere. It was on the machine, on the counter, on the wall, on the floor, on the coffee machine. They were laughing at the amount of mess they had made - I gave 'the look', and they laughed more. I am pretty light hearted when it comes down to mess really, just I had it 110% clean and they came along and messed it all up - accidently of course.

Some new things happened today as well. Two pieces of lost property, within an hour of each other. A coat and a bag of shopping. Surely you'd notice if you were both missing? We handed both to security - I know the coat was recovered but I'm not sure about the bag. Also twice, customers were willing to pay for sauces. We don't charge. I gave one customer around 5 ketchups. He exclaimed "Well I am not paying for all those!". We don't charge. I prefer to give out lots of sauce, as I always find it annoying when you ask for some sauce or salt, and they give you one sachet.

I did some 'extra work' today. Basically I did stuff BOH should do - like mop their area, empty bins etc. No bother - I'll be paid for it, and it leaves you satisfied you did a good job!

Thanks for the comments on the last post...I have enthusiasm now Al - but maybe I won't in a few months down the line?? I hope I do though...and I should get a pay rise soon (ok its the annual one, but it is a pay rise all the same!).

I'm doing my first Saturday next week - which apparently will be very busy, but there are 2-3 staff on front. Will be interesting. One more post this week, providing I don't do O/T and then 4 next week. Please continue to comment...even it is just to said "I am reading you blog"!

No comments: