Wednesday 14 February 2007

Sweet Chilli Again

Well I decided to try out this whole sweet chilli thing, so I went for a McDonalds after work. I had some Chicken Selects with Sweet Chilli dip. Hmm it was nice!!! But not cheap at £3.79 and that wasn't even a meal. I was told that I should blog about the price and express disgust regarding it, by the person who I call 'the taxi driver' (Hi Mum....she reads this everyday at work when she isn't visiting the vending machine).

I will now have more sympathy with customers who ask for it and go "No sorry..." with a sad face, rather than "NO" with a mardy face. I can now understand why when I offer crushed chilli as an alternative they are not amused.

Today was a bit of a weird one. Everyone wanted something we don't have. I had about 5 or 6 people ask for sweetcorn, whereas I sometimes won't get that even once a week. I do not have sympathy for these people as sweetcorn is one of least favourite foods, ever. Eww that people asked for tuna, prawns, fresh chillies. No we don't do these, please visit your local full service Pizza Hut restaurant for them. Also please don't kick up a stink and/or huff and puff because there is nothing I can do. Also, just because we don't do a plain pepperoni pizza (we can if you WAIT a whole 6 minutes) there is no need to go "WELL FUCK THAT".

I had two customers today in wheelchairs. I offered assistance, and hurrah they accepted. I did some waitering(!!!) regardless of the normal casual, fast-food thing we do. Is that wrong to treat them differently (but better) than others? I think they deserve it really because all the assistance and extra help they may receive is no substitute for having full mobility. I ensured that I was not patronising (because that is probably worse than not getting help at all).

I have also figured out, that because the traditional image of Pizza Hut is different to the format I work in but still Pizza Hut, we get treated with respect than other fast-food workers. I can't really prove it, but it just seems that customers in general expect you to have just a little bit of a intelligence. It is also noticeable sometimes that people are surprised you are willing to help them out.

3 comments:

Al said...

As a supermarket we have serveral regulars who require extra help when they are in store either because they are disabled or are elderly. For some it's something small like helping them too and from their car and other people require help the whole time they are in the store. Most of them either come in at the same time every week or will phone ahead so we can have someone waiting for them.

There's nothing wrong with sweetcorn either...

AggressiveAdmin said...

No, sweetcorn is Satan. I don't exactly take the time to inspect my poo, but I can just imagine intact sweetcorn bobbing around. Ugh.

The vast majority of our wheelchair-user customers are regulars because it's more convenient for them to shop closer to home and not travel to other supermarkets. As a result, we know who needs what help - and who doesn't want any.

My mum would die if she read my blog - she thinks she raised me so well I never swear ;)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I really love your blog and find it really amusing. You might not be writing about world events...but finding the humour in small, everyday moments is just as fascinating for me.

Keep on blogging!!